Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Construction/Destruction

One of the strangest things about San Diego is the still-functioning quarry right smack dab in the middle of one of the heaviest areas of development in Mission Valley. The development of the area happened fast, a lot of people remember Mission Valley still being full of dairy farms. Today it's full of malls, auto dealers, chain restaurants, big box stores, hotels, corporate headquarters, condo developments, and enormous parking lots. The quarry, which has been in operation for 60 years, is a fascinating holdover, especially juxtaposed with all of the surrounding development. I took the photo of the quarry above from the cliffs on the south side of Mission Valley. I was playing with the zoom on our new camera, and although the photo turned out pretty blurry, the editing created a nice effect.

Apparently even the quarry is going to be developed, however. I'm not sure what phase the development is in now, so I wasn't sure if I was looking at construction or destruction equipment, but this looks like quarry equipment to me.