Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Apple Crisp Recipe

Some of the smaller apples, I forget which kind these are.

But seriously, time is speeding up, right? I just cannot fathom where October has gone.

We went apple picking (yes, apple picking) up near Julian this last weekend and got a nice bunch of imperfectly perfect apples. I think you can judge the organic-ness of apples by the earwig-to-apple ratio. When I made an apple crisp last night with seven of the larger apples, I found two live earwigs in them, which seems like a pretty fair ratio.

The apple crisp is my mom's recipe that I remember from childhood, and I was very happy to have it turn out exactly right. It's not a hard recipe, but for some reason it's just one of those things I never thought to try. And speaking of ratios, the butter-and-sugar-to-apple ratio in this is probably a good reason not to make it too often. I didn't get any good photos of the apple crisp and I didn't want to ruin anyone's impressions of the recipe with a bad photo.

Apple Crisp

6-8 apples, peeled, cored, sliced
1/4 to 1/2 cup water (depending on how juicy you want it)

Arrange the sliced apples evenly in a baking dish (I used a glass pie dish) and pour in the water. Sprinkle 1 tsp. cinnamon over the slices.

In a bowl mix 1 cup brown sugar and 3/4 cup flour. Cut in 1/3 - 1/2 cup butter until crumbly, then sprinkle over apples. Bake covered (I used aluminum foil, but if have a covered dish, that's better) at 375 degrees about 1/2 hour or until apples are tender.

I found that 40 minutes was better, with the last 10 minutes uncovered.

There you go, super easy, really good.