Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

I Believe in Comfortable Shoes

"If you're not wearing comfortable shoes, life is just chaos."
--Cliff Clavin in the final episode of Cheers

Cliff's answer to Sam's question: what is the point of life? has stuck with me over the years, and is probably one of the fundamental truths by which I live my life. Having had both very comfortable shoes and very uncomfortable shoes in the intervening seventeen years, I can't really argue with the logic.

Before I went to Chicago for the month of August, I bought myself a new pair of shoes, as my old ones had pretty much given up the ghost. I spent more on this pair of shoes than I have ever spent on shoes, but I knew I would be walking a lot in the next month, and I wanted something that was not only going to hold up to all that use, but would also take care of my feet. Living car-free and bike-free, you pretty much just have your feet to get you around. Even with public transit, you have to walk quite a bit, since no one seems to have quite worked out a way for trains and buses to deliver everyone right at the doorsteps of their destinations. My new shoes broke in quickly and performed fantastically. At month's end, there was only a bit of wear on the heel (I tend to strike my heels pretty hard).

Really the only point to all this is: if you don't have some already, get yourself some really good shoes. They don't have to be expensive, they just have to be comfortable.

PS--If you're interested, these are Born shoes, I don't remember which style.