Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

Random Chicago Bike Stuff

Hanging around my alma mater this week, which has apparently put together a bike share program. There was a whole fleet of these parked outside the library today, all identified with placards. They looked to be mostly refurbished older town bikes and some old mountain bikes. Very cool. Apologies for poor quality cell phone pics.
This bike below I found locked up in the neighborhood. According to the head badge, it's a "Power King" from Japan. I really like the way this bike is appointed. It makes me wonder how many "off" brand bikes like this were either manufactured locally or imported to different markets around the country. Every time I'm here, I see bikes I've never heard of, and most of them are well-equipped as solid transportation/utility bikes. About half are slowly dying, about half are being used. It's really nice to see so many old bikes still doing their jobs.