Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

Nottingham: 1, Detroit: 0

I posted at Bike San Diego today about getting hit by a car last night while riding my bike, so I won't go into all the details again. You can read all about it over there, but here's an excerpt:

The driver who hit me had not even reached his stop line when I entered the intersection. I was ¾ of the way across the driver’s line of sight when I realized that he was not fully stopping. I yelled and pushed hard to get out from in front of him, but he clipped my rear wheel. The bike went down, but I was able to step off and stay on my feet.
As I stumbled to keep from falling, the driver crept through the intersection, looking back directly at me. Once he realized I was still standing (not broken or bleeding on the pavement), he accelerated and left the scene. 

I had to laugh just now when I gave my British steel the once-over in the light of day and found only a minor bend in the rear fender and some chipped paint. Both wheels spin true, the frame, steering, and cranks are fine, and the shifting is unaffected. In fact, I took the opportunity to tighten down my brakes, so it actually rides better now than it did before. Take that, car!